The whole idea of eating healthy can certainly be a challenge; especially for one who does not like healthy foods. Last week as I stepped on the scale it read 8 tenths of a pound lighter. Feeling pretty good about things I stepped on the scale today; it reads up 2 tenths of a pound over my starting weight of a few weeks ago. I could easily get very discouraged; but I refuse too! I tweaked my back which has left me moving less; moving less means my body retains more fluid 2 significant factors which could affect the number on the scale. I will continue on in my journey and choose to not be discouraged.
I love to cook and I totally enjoy searching through recipe books. In my downsizing/organization of my kitchen, I must have given away over 75 cookbooks. I still have a good 25 or more cookbooks left on my shelf. With the invention of the Internet I can peruse millions of recipes, yet I hang on to some of my favorite cookbooks. The turning of pages as I savor each recipe and spy each picture brings me great satisfaction. Therefore, I will keep the cookbooks I have and try hard not to purchase more. Although, I have this empty shelf space now… hmm; but I digress.
I thought it might be fun on Wellness Wednesday to share with you a recipe from time-to-time. I live in a very hot climate making “Slow Cooking” an ideal way to save time, energy and not heat up the kitchen. Today promises to be close to 110 degrees or more. I have not tried this recipe yet; it sure sounds yummy. I will let you know as Slow Cooker Beef Fajitas will definitely make my meal agenda for this week.
Until next time,
Enjoy – Sandra
Slow Cooker Beef Fajitas (Cycle 2 on the 17 Day Diet)
For this recipe, try to get lean flank steak or tri-tip.
What you’ll need (for 4-5 servings):
4-5 lbs. lean flank steak, cut into strips
1 red bell pepper
1 green bell pepper
1 yellow or orange bell pepper
2-3 medium yellow onions
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 fresh ripe tomatoes
1 packet fajita or taco spice
1 tbsp. Fat Free sour cream or Fat Free Greek yogurt (per serving)
What to do:
1. Slice steak thinly into strips (cut against the grain) and pile in the bottom of your slow cooker. Add in minced garlic and a packet of fajita or taco spices (you can also make your own spice mix by combining a bit each of onion powder, garlic powder, white pepper, smoky paprika, cumin and chili powder).
2. Cook on medium heat in your slow cooker for 6+ hours. The meat should get really tender, almost to a point where it’s falling apart (which is how you want it).
3. In a sauté pan sprayed with nonstick spray, add in your sliced peppers and onions. Stir fry until soft (3-5 minutes). Deglaze the pan with 1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth – scrape the bottom to pick up all the little flavor bits.
4. Put the sautéed peppers into your crockpot and combine. You can serve immediately, or let these sit at low temperature until ready to serve.
5. Serve with fresh diced tomatoes and FF sour cream (or greek yogurt) on a bed of greens.
Note: if you’re making this for your family and they are not on the 17DD, try serving with multigrain tortillas (warm slightly so they are pliable). These also are great in lettuce wraps.